I have found out this recipe a couple of years back while I was searching for something really special, delicious yet simple to prepare for dinner. Suddenly the Chop steak recipe Hawaiian pops up on my search list and I was quite impressed seeing the ingredients list it takes and the public reviews. I was in hurry, so I prepared it right away and was more than satisfied with the result. Then the rest has been a fascinating journey for me having this dish in dinner every other weekend!
Oh my gosh! I still remember even having it every weekend for the first six months. Later on, I came to know about a few chopped steak recipes, but still, this Hawaiian Chop steak remains one of my most favorite steak recipes. Sometimes, I mix veggies with the steak, and the taste literally feels out of the world.
I have changed the original recipe and put some twists of mine. Once you prepared it, you will know the difference…
You are also welcome to try my most favorite steak recipes in your steak series:
What is chop steak?
Chop steak, alternatively known as hamburger steak, chopsteak, chopped steak, or beef patty, is nothing but simply a patty of ground-cooked beef. Some people also call it a unique type of beef steak, which we have to cook by boiling.
When you use the Hawaiian style for cooking it, it is called the Hawaiian Chop steak.
- Thinly sliced tender beef (1 pound; NY strip of ½ pound will also do fine)
- Chicken broth (1/2 cup)
- Vegetable oil (2 tablespoons; peanut oil will also do)
- Finely sliced (1/4 inch thick) onion (2 pieces)
- Water (1 teaspoon)
- Cornstarch (1 teaspoon)
- Peppers (as per your liking)
For the Seasoning
- Vinegar, preferably rice vinegar (1 teaspoon)
- Sugar (2.5 teaspoons)
- Soy sauce (1/4 cup)
- Grated ginger (1-inch piece)
- Finely minced or grated garlic (1 clove)
- At first, mix all the seasoning ingredients. Then add all the beef and set the mixture to marinate for 20-25 minutes.
- Set the temperature to medium-high and heat the oil in a medium-size pan. Gradually add pepper and onions, and keep cooking until they are soft. You may cook till they are crisp-tender.
- Now take the seasoning out and place the pan with beef on the heating element and fry for 25 minutes or more until the beef is thoroughly cooked. You can remove it while mid-rare as well.
- Leave the seasoning liquid in the pan.
- Now, in another bowl, combine the water and cornstarch. Keep stirring till the mixture is smooth. Then add the seasoning liquid to the same bowl and simmer them all. When it feels thickened, stop the heat, remove it.
- If you find the sauce thicker than you usually prefer to have, you can add the sauce to the broth. Then stir again to get the desired consistency.
If you prefer some gravy, just as I do, you can return the pepper, onions, and beef to the pan and secure some gravy thereby. Then serve the dish hot, as it tastes better if served hot.
There is no strait-jacket formula for choosing any particular ingredients. For instance:
- I have used the Hawaiian chop steak recipe NY strip for beef, so you have your options open.
- I have used peanut oil, but you can use any vegetable of your choice.
- I have used rice vinegar, but you can use any type of vinegar. The result will be almost the same with a little variation.
- The amount of sugar is also up to you. Usually, I use 2.5 teaspoons of sugar, which is ideal. But if you like it sweeter, use more sugar, up to 3-4 teaspoons. If you want to cut back the sweetness, It’s up to you.
Hawaiian chop steak is a pretty healthy food item due to its tested combination of beef and chicken broth. The amount of fat and good cholesterol is in control and it’s rich in necessary minerals like sodium and potassium.
|Serving (4-servings)||Nutritional Value||Daily Value|
|Calories||355 (1276 kJ)||–|
|Total Fat||20 g||31%|
|Saturated Fat||10 g||79%|
|Monounsaturated Fat||10 g||–|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||5 g||–|
|Total Carbohydrate||86 g||29%|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g||20%|
|Protein||43 g||86 %|
If you are bored with your regular steak recipes and looking for something conveniently different, you can hardly find any better option than this Chop steak recipe Hawaiian. This chopped steak recipe will deliver efficient results every time and fulfill your desire of having an excellent dinner.
I also mark this recipe as a totally unique of serving Beef Steak, and I love it! Enjoy!