When it comes to American-favorite top-notch Mexican food items, the only name that pops up in my mind is Lupe tortilla. I have been a big fan of Lupe tortilla fajita since I have had it for the first time. But It is fairly recently I have tried my version of the Lupe tortilla fajita recipe and succeeded as well! Later on, I have decided to share it with you as having some home comfort cooking meal is truly satisfying. Besides, this dish is mouth-watering; it tastes wonderfully tantalizing and fascinates me every time!
Now, I must tell you that fajita is a special item on Lupe tortilla’s menu; it shines like a polestar on the food item list. Once you have it, I bet you will hardly think of going to another Mexican restaurant. The Tex-Mex institution is a real gem in terms of serving delicious Mexican food! But as you are here, you are about to experience home-cooked Lupe tortilla fajita within an hour at maximum.
This recipe takes around 20 minutes to prepare the ingredients and another 20 minutes to finish cooking. This meal can be served alone or as a side dish with other dishes. Without any further ado, let’s get going.
Try my other favorite side dished; the Famous dave’s salmon spread recipe or the Olive garden meatball recipe.
To prepare this, you will need three sets of ingredients, e.g., meat, marinade, and fajita vegetables. I could have listed them altogether. But I have listed them separately so that you understand what is for what.
You will need skirt steak, or shrimp or chicken (2 pounds) for this part. However, it is significant that you get skirt steak and skirt steak to make your recipe a success.
- Ground cumin (1/2 teaspoon)
- Fresh lime juice (4 tablespoons). Make sure it is from original limes.
- Finely mashed and peeled garlic cloves (3 pieces)
- Tequila (4 tablespoons). Don’t be surprised. I use tequila all the time to prepare this meal. It boosts the taste, flavor, and texture of the meal.
- Vegetable oil (1/3 cup will do fine)
- To taste, salt (1 teaspoon)
- Finely cleaned green onions (2 pieces). At first, cut it longwise in the middle, then cut it down in half.
- White onion (1 large piece). Make half rings or thin crescents by slicing the onion.
- Bell peppers (3 pieces). Any assorted color bell pepper will also do the job. Cut them into strips.
- Vegetable oil (2 tablespoons). You will need this at the end of the recipe to sauté the veggies.
It’s pretty easy to prepare all the Lupe tortilla recipes if proper instruction is followed, so is this one. Just do as follows:
- At first, cut the steak into suitable pieces that will fit into your skillet (preferably cast iron). Remember, if you want to have tender bites, you must cut the steak through the grain.
- Now, use a meat mallet to tenderize the steak pieces.
- Take a Ziploc bag and put all the pieces of meat into that bag.
- Then comes the marinade. Prepare the marinade mixing the tequila, garlic, cumin, lime juice, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, and, of course, salt. You can mix the ingredients in any Pyrex bowl or large glass.
- When the marinade is ready, pour all of it into the Ziploc bag. Try to push out all (as much as you can) the air out of the bag. Then seal it properly and start kneading meat. Knead it until the marinade covers the meat fully.
- Keep the bag in your fridge for only two hours. Yes, the Lupe tortilla fajita recipe takes only 2-hourmarinating for the optimal taste and texture!
- After 2 hours, take the bag out of the fridge. Then separate the meat from the marinade and grill it in your cast iron skillet or over hot coals in medium-high heat.
- Keep grilling until the marinade moisture from the meat disappears. (You may notice a huge amount of marinade moisture at first, but it will be vanish as you keep cooking.)
- When you find slight “crust” developing over the steak pieces, you are halfway to finish the cooking. Then take more time and finish cooking as per your preference.
- At this point, place 2 tablespoon vegetable oil, onions, and sauté peppers in the pan and heat them over medium-high heat till they become tender or crisp. You can add more vegetable oil if you want.
- Now, serve them with the corn/flour tortillas. Don’t forget to add the condiments: guacamole, cheddar cheese, sour cream, and pico de gallo.
Pro tips: This recipe also goes finely with salsa, diced tomatoes, lettuce, Mexican rice, etc.
Don’t be surprised if this recipe tastes a little different than the original one. I have gone through the reader feedbacks and customer reviews on Lupe tortilla concerning this recipe and changed it to some extent, as you can see. I have included tequila and excluded the adobo and mayo from the original one. (Yes, you can go with the original version by including mayo and adobo.)
This version of the Lupe tortilla fajitas recipe is succulent and extremely flavorful. If you prepare this once, you will see the difference.
These homemade flour tortillas are so delicious that you would want to make them over and over again after you taste them once. This meal is much better than any other tortilla meal you can ever find in any of your local stores. Ah, that incomparable flavor and unmatchable taste!
I bet this Lupe tortilla fajita recipe will keep you from buying tortillas from any store for the rest of your life! It’s worth the time! Most importantly, this dish is suitable for enjoying with your dearest ones as an everyday meal or as a special meal on any occasion.