We all become pressed for time every now and then, especially on an activity-packed weekend or a busy weeknight. If the situation is such, it is always ideal to prepare a meal within minutes with only a single ingredient from the freezer.
For example, I am used to preparing air fryer chicken tenders, frozen pizza, etc. But if you feel weary of these typical meals, it’s time to try something different, the frozen shrimp in air fryer.
Actually, Air Fryer Frozen Shrimp is here to save your dinner and save you in your hectic days. It takes only 2 minutes to get ready, another 10 minutes to finish cooking. And the food is at your table within 12 minutes! So easy, simple, and quick a recipe!
It doesn’t even matter whether you prefer non-battered or battered shrimp; you will reach perfection every time by following the directions and simple tips and tricks. On top of that, if you are on a paleo or keto diet or looking for something low carb and gluten-free, you can just go for the non-breaded shrimp and get all the advantages at a time!
Is it better to cook shrimp frozen or thawed?
It is a hundred times better to cook shrimp frozen than thawed. Frozen shrimp cooks fast and provides a higher degree of protection against heat burning. In contrast, the thawed ones will get burned if you be careless for a single moment. Consequently, the end result of frozen shrimps is always better than thawed shrimps.
As the frozen shrimp cooks fast, they make a better option for both poaching and steaming as well. Moreover, the frozen ones always render better flavor than the thawed ones. You can even add the frozen ones to any recipe at the last moment because they cook fast!
Why making frozen shrimp in air fryer?
There are countless reasons to prepare shrimp in air fryer. For instance:
- Air fried shrimp recipe is very fast and easy. You will need a maximum of 12-15 minutes to prepare the meal.
- This recipe yields heavily crispy shrimp in the air fryer.
- It’s mostly kid-friendly yet goes fine for any age.
- Highly budget-friendly. You just need a pack of frozen shrimp.
- You can even prepare it ahead, store and serve later!
- It is pretty is to scale up this recipe to yield double to triple or even enough to feed a crowd.
- Uncooked frozen shrimp (1 pound; around 450g, battered or unbattered)
Don’t bother thinking about whether to have battered or non-battered because any of these will do fine. Even cooked or frozen-any of the options are just fine for this recipe. However, I have used frozen ones straight from the freezer, and I haven’t thawed the shrimps.
There is also no need for additional oil.
- The start the cooking process, get a head start by preheating the air fryer to 400-degree Fahrenheit or 200-degree Celsius.
- Now, spread the plain non-battered or frozen battered shrimp to the air fryer basket out of the freezer directly. You should spread them evenly and in a single layer. If need be, don’t hesitate to go for multiple batches or more.
- Then, cook for 9-10 minutes. After that, shake and flip over the shrimps and cook the other side for 9-10 more minutes.
- When thoroughly cooked and turned golden brown, remove the shrimps from the air fryer and set them aside on a plate.
- Then coat or season with your favorite ingredients, such as sauce, and serve hot.
If you want to season the shrimp, you are at liberty to do so in the last 2-3 minutes of the cooking time. The ideal seasoning options are dry seasoning mostly, including:
- You can go for the taco seasoning, which is usually used for tacos and tacos salads.
- Pepper lemon seasoning is also fine.
- Make a premium seasoning by blending garlic and onion powder along with a little amount of salt.
- Stone house seasoning is also recommended.
- You can even sprinkle parmesan cheese along with a considerable amount of garlic powder.
- Smoked paprika, curry powder, and red pepper flakes are also fine.
- You can even go for Italian seasoning.
Note: Use the seasoning, mentioned above for shrimps without shells. However, if you marinate the shrimps, you can use these seasonings for both shrimps with shells or without shells.
- Serve the frozen salad, for example, with spinach blueberry salad.
- Serve this dish in tacos.
- Sweet potato fries or seasoned potatoes work as a perfect side with frozen shrimp.
- Serve the shrimp by mixing it with fried rice.
- Or you can season the shrimp and enjoy the shrimp as the main meal itself.
- If you are using big shrimps, add 2 or more minutes to the cooking time, and for the opposite, reduce the cooking time by 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the shells before eating, if using shrimp with shells.
- If you thaw the shrimp ahead, reduce the cooking time by 1-2 minutes.
- You must not use a big clump of shrimp. Separating them is a must.
- Spread the shrimps in a single layer for better hot air circulation and through cooking.
- Shaking the shrimp once during the cooking is also a must for thorough cooking.
How to store
Put the leftover shrimp, when fully cooled, in an air-tight container and keep it in the fridge. It will remain good for up to 3-4 days.
When reheating, use the air fryer for 2-3 minutes or more until thoroughly hot.
How many calories are in frozen shrimp?
There are little calories in every 85-gram or 3-ounce serving. So, it is a little low in calories and there is no carb in frozen shrimp.
Is it bad to cook frozen shrimp?
No, there is nothing bad in cooking frozen shrimp. These shrimps are small, so there is no chance to undercook them. More to that, being frozen, these shrimps prevent overcooking, so you get more tender and juicer shrimp every time.
Now you know how to prepare air fryer frozen shrimp. So, what about whipping up a batch or more succulent and mouth-watering shrimp every now and then when the urge hits? I know you will, and this will soon become your go-to meal to save dinner in your hectic days!
Best of luck with your recipe and I will be waiting to hear from you.
Note: If you haven’t checked the notes, tips, and tricks well, go back and check them out, as they are crucial to reach perfection in this recipe.